The St. Martha Giving Circle (The Marthas) is an initiative dedicated to bringing Catholic women together to raise awareness and funds for organizations in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. A giving circle by design, this group will leverage a pooled fund to have a greater philanthropic impact on the selected organizations.
Throughout the year, The Marthas will gather to learn about organizations and their needs and decide together which projects to fund. There will also be opportunities to share ideas, volunteer with one another and, of course, plenty of time to socialize.
- Vote on which organizations you would like to receive a grant
- You decide your level of involvement – voluntary attendance at meetings, site visits and speaker panels
- Learn about non-profit organizations throughout the archdiocese
- Hear about projects and needs in the community, directly from the organizations
- Share ideas and opportunities with other women
- Engage in volunteer service and fellowship with like-minded women of all ages
- Opportunities to include even the youngest women in your family, to teach future generations about philanthropy
Mary Elizabeth Coleman
Maureen Ahrens • Mary Charles • Mary Elizabeth Coleman • Julie Colombo • Pat Dino • Tiffany Dino • Angeline Doerr • Tina Eckelkamp • Susan Favazza • Phyllis Fresta • Joan Guyol • Mary Guyol • Jennifer Hempstead • Lisa Hillenbrand • Melissa Jedlicka • Joan Kane • Joan Lipic • Margie Medelberg • Elizabeth Nickson • Connie Notestine • Katherine Reed • Nancy Ross • Susan Sansone • Pat Sauerburger • Jane Schroeder • Karen Shaughnessy • Diane Snively • Katherine Thiemann • Judith Wagner • Theresa Welz • Nancy Werner • Elizabeth Wilmsen
Who should join
Women of any age who want to have a meaningful impact on our Catholic community.
How to become a Martha
Give as much as you can, as often as you can.
Gifts to the fund might range from $100 – $10,000. We ask for a minimum contribution of $100 for voting privileges each year.
Consider becoming a Founders’ Circle member by contributing a minimum of $1,000. All members receive one grant-making vote.
Who do we support
Members will vote annually on a beneficiary (must be a Catholic-supported organization in the Archdiocese of St. Louis).
Depending on available funds, multiple beneficiaries may be selected. The voting process and grant announcement occurs in the spring.
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only parishes, schools and ministries and other non-profit organizations located within the Archdiocese of St. Louis are eligible for funding. The recipient must be a non-profit organization in good standing with the IRS and in alignment with Catholic teaching.
The Foundation staff will recommend the total grant amount to be split among the non-profits in a given calendar year based on:
- December 31 balance of the St. Martha Giving Circle Fund
- An amount to be retained in the fund to maintain stability in the total grant amount in future years
A minimum grant of $500 may be made to each organization selected. No single organization may receive a grant of more than 25% of the total grant amount available for distribution each year.
The Roman Catholic Foundation will select a limited number of organizations as possible grantees based on the known interest areas of the St. Martha Giving Circle and viability of the project.
Members of the St. Martha Giving Circle may also nominate organizations to be added to the voting ballot. Each member can nominate one organization by completing a nomination form and submitting it to The Roman Catholic Foundation by the established deadline. Staff at The Roman Catholic Foundation will research all nominations for eligibility based on the guidelines detailed below. If the organization is eligible, it will be placed on the ballot.
The Roman Catholic Foundation will ensure the following:
- The organization is a 501(c)(3) in good standing with the IRS by using GuideStar Charity Check and the Kennedy Directory (if applicable).
- The organization is in alignment with Catholic teaching through staff research including the following methods:
– Organization’s website
– Organization’s annual report and publications
– Contacting the organization for clarification on questions
– Speaking with appropriate Archdiocesan staff, if needed
– Consulting with the Foundation President & CEO and Executive Committee, if needed
Voting Process in the Spring of Each Year
- Call for nominations will occur 4 weeks prior to a vote, and close 2 weeks prior to a vote (to allow for staff research time).
- The Roman Catholic Foundation will present all eligible organizations/projects on the ballot, including member nominated organizations
- Members of the St. Martha Giving Circle who contributed at least $100 prior to December 31st of the prior year will receive one vote each.
- Members will rank their top three choices to receive grants. All ballots must be submitted within two weeks of the start of the vote.
- The Roman Catholic Foundation will calculate the votes considering the total number of votes and ranking.
- The Roman Catholic Foundation will announce the final grant awards to the St. Martha Giving Circle members within one month of the voting process closing.
The Roman Catholic Foundation is a 501(c)3 public charity, independent from the Archdiocese of St. Louis. The Foundation was established in 2013 with the goal of sustaining Catholic parishes, schools and ministries throughout the Archdiocese of St. Louis for future generations.
The Roman Catholic Foundation offers a way to leave a legacy uniquely aligned with Catholic values and beliefs. Additionally, the Foundation invests all funds in accordance with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops guidelines for Socially Responsible Investments.
The Roman Catholic Foundation builds endowed funds that will support Catholic parishes, schools and ministries throughout the Archdiocese of St. Louis for generations to come.
Roman Catholic Foundation of Eastern Missouri
Tax Identification Number: 46-3309222
Roman Catholic Foundation
425 North New Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63141